Sunday, November 19, 2017

What's Your Style?

When I first started writing, I wrote my stories in the third person perspective.  As my writing evolved, I changed to first person.  I wanted to convey the main characters thoughts, feelings, and emotions as I wrote out the story.  And this brings me to my next point, which is story content and plots, or lack thereof.

I have read a  lot of erotic shorts, and the vast majority of them open with a short scene and light context about the main character before embarking on a 3,000 word description of the sex they are partaking in.  I approach mine a bit differently.  I like to have a plot to my stories.  I prefer to set up the back story and what is driving the attraction.  I like to have a buildup to the consummation, which I feel builds the sexual tension a lot better.

I do go into detail when it comes to the actual act of intercourse, but I still like to have the plot in place, even though the story is about sex, and the ultimate outcome of intercourse.  I feel that if I can incrementally add to the sexual story, it lends itself to a much more plausible story, rather than some outlandish fiction that could not possibly ever occur.  I want my readers to be able to insert themselves into the role of the main character and fantasize as if it was them in the story.

I don't know if my style is for every reader, but I guess with the success I am having I am appealing to at least some segment of the population.

What's your style?

No comments:

Post a Comment